Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Random Thoughts On... Family solidarity

My parents have worn matching glasses for about five years now (I don't know why. It must be an eccentric couple-y thing to do). They decided to buy another set of matching glasses with transition lenses because I'm guessing they wanted to give up their Asian heritage:  
via Ideas Culture


The style that the both of them chose was rather unfortunate. It happened to be the Wayfarer-esque style that's become popular especially amongst the Asians. I think the following picture should help set the image quite nicely:


via 1.bp.blogspot.com
Except really, the effect is more like this minus the tape:


via 123rf.com
In any case, there's a certain Asian fobness associated with glasses of that style. I'm fine with my parents looking fob in their glasses. I'll even go so far as to say that wearing that style makes them look fob but stylish since it's a little rarer nowadays to see late 40-some year olds wearing Wayferers. 


Turns out that the optometrist was willing to do a deal: get two pairs of glasses with transition lenses and throw a free one in for the daughter! It's three for the price of two! My parents were thrilled. Not only would their daughter be wearing glasses that would make her look like a run-of-the-mill fob Asian but she'd also be wearing the exact same glasses style as her parents! It's family solidarity taken literally. 


Now that the floodgates have been opened, I fear as to what may come next. Lee family t-shirts? Matching outfits? Ooh dear...




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hehehehe that is pure gold!!!! Please don't tell me that they are forcing you to wear it though, altogether? Very...matchy :D. Totally use that little bit of info that we found out regarding the timing of your birth :D

Yi-Ling said...

LOLLLLL that's great. you should take a family photo.

f i o n a (miss.tea) said...

OMG LOOOOOOL HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAA now that is a good story

Jessica said...

HAHAHAHAHA