Monday, July 4, 2011

Random Thoughts On... A cold winters night

It's freezing in our house and I wish I was safe and warm in L.A. I've got The Mamas & The Papas' California Dreaming stuck on repeat to somehow give lyrical solace to my chilled-to-the-bone body. And on that note, here's a really nice cover of the song:

One of the things that I always seem to conveniently forget when I come home is that my dad happens to be even more Asian than I'll ever be. Squinty eyes aside (I still maintain that my dad has even squintier eyes than I do despite however much he denies it), my pater is the master of stinginess. Actually, this is probably when my dad would have liked to step in and beg to differ on this point.

With all the passion that he commands, my father would argue that by not turning on the floor heating he is doing his part to combat global warming. Why sacrifice the environment (and gas bills) when one could easily just wear a few more layers of clothing? He would then close his case by adding that he hadn't actually turned off the heating but merely re-set the temperature at which the heater automatically turns on to 15°C. 

Granted that I've never been much of a green individual. Probably the best contribution I've made to keeping my carbon footprint as minimal as possible was catching the tram to and from school for 6 years and even then, I jumped at every chance to get driven. So maybe my dad's noble gesture is lost on my environmentally-ignorant self, but I'm sure there has to be a line drawn somewhere.

Well, while I'm pondering the existence of said line, I'll be emulating the Michelin Tyre Man. 

(via Wheels Of Italy)

6 comments:

FROGGY said...

oh wow so this is what this song is called! i'm so glad you're posting more now :)

Anonymous said...

......you could secretly turn on the the heater yourself...

KL said...

Ooh covert. But I think I've finally got the hang of rolling around in my layers so maybe I'll hold off. :P

f i o n a said...

you should get one of those tiny fan heaters! but yeah, i know what you mean, my sister is like that too :3

f i o n a said...

although her priority would actually be the reduction of greenhouse emissions

Spcogg said...

Ahahah i'm glad your dad is stingy, only because it resulted in this hilarious post.